Originally Published 2008-10-24 17:12:56
Yes, I'm still alive. All 42 of you that are left and haven't yet deleted me from your RSS Feeds out of withdrawal (isn't it sad when you see "Really Smart Guy" turn up gray every day? I know, tear) can exhale a collective sigh of relief.
Got that our of your system?
Ok. Well, it's Friday afternoon and I'm still struggling to push a new build of another Great Idea That Will Make The World a Better Place(tm). It's pushing. Er, copying. Er, updating. Wait... what does that script do again?
(The current brain-bandwidth is being occupied by Phlooq, a product designed to help content publishers leverage social networks to promote events. It really is a good idea, but I'm in the middle of Friday rant here...)
The beauty of running your own shop is flexibility. The company picks up your transportation costs everywhere (I sign my own expense reports now, damn it!). Once you have employees, you can even delegate most of your less urgent task items.
The bad side is that you never turn off. I haven't worked this hard since... oh wait, never mind. I'm a workaholic. But, yeah, the phone woke me up three times this week with someone begging for help. Thankfully it was a client in good standing every time (nothing is worse than when the client who hasn't paid you for three months makes that call), but still... yawn.
So, yeah, that's why I haven't been blogging. The $30 a month google sends me when I blog every day about Ron Paul and Vannessa whats-her-butt from High School Musical just doesn't quite seem worth the effort when one is working Sundays.
Maybe Moses had something going there with that whole Sabbath routine. Heh. Keeping a bunch of nomads inspired while you wander around in circles for 40 years is a tough job -- you need those Sundays off, damn it!
Anyhow, here are a few things I dealt with this month:
- Had an employee resign, then re-apply. I hired him back. Woot!
- Moved across town. Well, no, not across town. Eight blocks. It was still a move.
- Started offering health insurance to employees.
- Registered to Vote. Please do the math and vote for Obama. Unless, of course, you actually do happen to be in the top 5% of incomes, in which case, please Contact Me. I'd like to partner with you.
- Bought an iPhone. I have a full blog post in my head just around that, actually. Good thing I've written it. (sarcastic humor)
Okay, that's enough for this month. Happy Friday!